Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Is my thumb getting green?

From this...
... to this!

















I'll jumpstart my new & improved blog by posting a picture of my new & improved green thumb (well, the fruits of my green thumb's labor, actually). I have been known as the "plant killer" and cannot seem to keep anything that requires dirt in a pot alive. I had been pretty lucky with my aloe plant (because that requires very little skill to keep alive) so I decided to venture into herbs, mainly because I use them frequently to cook with and I'm tired of spending money to just use a tablespoon or so of them. My mother-in-law generously gave me some offspring of her mint plant (see it in the black pot in the pic on the right?) and I felt compelled to keep it alive. Since that worked out, I bought the boys a "salad" and "taco" kit of seeds. We started growing them inside, and to my surprise, they started growing! Dylan apparently inherited my "kill the plants" gene and murdered some seedlings, but we eventually got to the point where they were suffocating (is that a gardening term?) and I had to move them to a bigger home. We have tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, cilantro, mint, basil, and parsley! Sadly, I'm not sure the lettuce is going to make the cut, but stay tuned to find out!


What are your favorite things to grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment