Monday, June 4, 2012

Cooking Fail

Logan has desperately wanted mac & cheese and hotdogs for dinner lately, so tonight I thought I'd do that for him. Instead of our usual boxed mac & cheese, I thought I'd make it a little more "grown-up" and make homemade mac & cheese. After searching and searching through Pinterest, I found (what I thought was) the perfect recipe


First mistake I made: I cooked the noodles regularly. In the recipe, it clearly says to mix the raw noodles with milk, salt, mustard powder, and nutmeg. I didn't read that far. Instead I cooked the noodles in water, drained them, then read what I was supposed to do. Oops. At least I have noodles for Dylan for lunch for the next week...



After a long sigh and a shake of my head regrouping my thoughts, I went to the cupboard to get more elbow pasta out (luckily I had another box!). I then promptly spilled the entire box (which was only half full) on the floor of my kitchen (see exhibit A). 
Exhibit A


After opening the famous blue boxed mac & cheese just for the noodles (I should've just used that darn box in the first place), I finally got started on my homemade mac & cheese. After it was cooked, I started to worry. It smelled delicious, but it looked and felt like a brick of noodles (see exhibit B). I followed the directions to a T, stirring the whole time, adding just the right amount of ingredients, and being patient. Hopefully it's just something I did wrong, because the recipe had wonderful reviews.
Exhibit B


From now on, it's the boxed version for this family.


2 comments:

  1. I have an AWESOME, easy homemade mac and cheese recipe. When I find it I'll send it to you. Rose gave it to me. It's her Granny's. It's so good.

    ReplyDelete